We are local Kensington people just like you, with different backgrounds, cultures, and religions, but we have come together to make the Kensington community an even better place, starting with the “Kensington Stockyard Food Garden”.
We are not just about growing vegetables, herbs, fruits and flowers sustainably, free of pesticides and as organic as we can make it. We also have a clear why, mission and vision for our garden and we operate with a clear set of values that are both welcoming and respectful to all our members and guests but also expect that all our members and guests observe them too.
Our why… “To make a difference in our community and in this world”
Knowing why we are here and what difference we want to make is the reason that will drive us forward to build a prosperous Kensington community and, hopefully, help to create and example for other communities too…
Our mission… “Feed a growing community”
We have now incorporated and are supported by a growing community of registered members eager to make a difference in Kensington…
Our vision… “To sustainably grow vegetables, herbs, fruits and flowers, increase local biodiversity, create a vibrant meeting place, encourage mindfulness and well being, encourage self sustainability through a participation model where we all help each other, and, of course, to feed our community”
We need to expand, we need to increase our food growing capacity, we need to diversify our biodiversity, we need to make sure we are accessible to all, we need to participate and support each other and we need to bring our community along with us…
Living our values is core to our “Why”, “Mission” and “Vision” and part of our code of conduct, general and safety guidelines (click here read more)…
- GROW – To assist in growing healthy sustainable organic food for our community.
- MINIMISE – To minimise food wastage by identifying if more parts of the plant are edible.
- NATURE – To think of nature and it’s little creatures, none of them are bad.
- ENVIRONMENT – To look after the environment, it starts with us
- GIVE – To take only the produce that you need and leave some to share with others.
- INCLUSIVE – To create an inclusive community of people that talk straight, with no inappropriate language or conflicts.
- PARTICIPATE – To assist in growing the garden and community by participation as we can’t do it alone.
- RESPECT – To respect and value each other, our ideas, contributions, and diversity.
- RESPONSIBILITY – To take responsibility and be accountable for your’s and your guest’s actions.
- SUPPORT – To assist and support each other and to help where help is needed.
- LEAD – To lead from the front, by example.
We have come together from all walks of life, from all sorts of backgrounds, cultures, and religions. It is “ALL” our differences combined which makes the Kensington community the amazing place it is today. A great place to live and raise our families in a vibrant and prosperous community, and it starts with “YOU”.
Our acting committee…
NINA CEDDIA (PRESIDENT)
DAVE WOODMAN (VICE PRESIDENT)
PETRONELLA NEL (SECRETARY)
VEENCE LIEW (TREASURER)
Our committee members work closely together to help fulfill our why, mission and vision. We also work closely with our local community, our local businesses, our local council and our victorian state government to help bring this dream to life.
Our members are beautiful, talented, generous, and supportive people that have come together to make a difference in the Kensington community.
We would like to say a sincere “Thank You” to all our past, present and future members, all our guests, our Kensington community, our local businesses, our local government and our victorian state government whose efforts will not be forgotten.
Thank you to all of you for making this dream possible. Without you all, we would not be here today and we are very much grateful for everything you all have done for the “Kensington Stockyard Food Garden”.
We still have a long way to go to achieve our “Why”, our “Mission”, our “Vision” and we understand that we can’t do it alone.
WE NEED YOUR HELP AND YOUR SUPPORT TO ACHIEVE THIS...
Feeding a growing community will take time. We need people just like you, dedicated to making a difference in Kensington, in Melbourne, in Victoria, in Australia, and in the world.
JOIN US TO HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY AND IN THIS WORLD!